The Caribbean’s first sexual offences court opened in Antigua and Barbuda

The Caribbean island nation of Antigua and Barbuda has opened the region’s first sexual offences court to help remedy the flaws in the nation’s handling of sexual offence cases.

Launched under the Judicial Reform and Institutional Strengthening (JURIST) project on January 21 and implemented by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), the Sexual Offences Model Court (SOMC) is located in Antigua’s capital, St John’s.

The model court, funded by the Government of Canada, is expected to reverse the problems identified in a 2016 Baseline Study by UN Women under the JURIST project which included delays in the completion of cases; lack of data collection; insufficient coordination between the courts and other related agencies; and non-pursuance of cases by complainants due to fear of re-victimization and re-traumatization by the justice system, reports Caribbean360.

The Chief Justice of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (ECSC), Dame Janice Pereira, acknowledged the low conviction rates and high attrition for sexual offence cases in the region and expressed hope that the court will “deliver gender-responsive and customer-focused services” to people.

Pereira added that Antigua and Barbuda was selected for the model court because of the country’s progress in addressing sexual abuse cases.

Antigua and Barbuda’s Attorney General, Steadroy Benjamin, said the country has made changes to its legislative framework to strengthen it and aid the model court to deliver quality justice.

He said the Government introduced the Criminal Prosecution Service last year which is headed by the Director of Public Prosecutions and two lawyers recruited to that department to work with the sexual offences court, reports Caribbean360.

The Caribbean region has one of the highest levels of sexual and domestic violence which are often underreported and ineffectively dealt with by the justice system. The JURIST project has introduced model guidelines for sexual offence cases in the region which will be implemented by the court.

This article by Ismail Akwei was first published by face2faceafrica.com

Published by Ismail Akwei

Ismail Akwei is an international journalist, digital media and communications professional, editor, writer, arts, culture and tourism advocate, human rights activist, pan-Africanist, tech enthusiast and history buff. He has worked with multinational media companies across Africa and has over a decade’s experience in journalism.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: